The Iowa Senator, who has pushed for this trade deal for over a year, helps get USMCA across the finish line in the Senate
Jan 16 2020
WASHINGTON—Since the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) trade deal was announced by President Trump in October 2018, U.S. Senator Joni Ernst (R-IA) has been a relentless advocate to get the agreement across the finish line in Congress. Today, with the support of Senator Ernst, the Senate passed the USMCA in an overwhelmingly bipartisan vote.
“It was hard work, and it took way too long, but we did it: the USMCA is on its way to President Trump’s desk and final ratification,” said Senator Ernst, chairman of the Senate Agriculture Subcommittee on Rural Development and Energy.
“All throughout my 99 County Tour last year, and even just last weekend as I kicked off my 6th annual 99 County Tour, I heard time and again from Iowa’s farmers, manufacturers, and business owners about the need for the USMCA. And each time, for more than a year, I would convey that message loud and clear to my colleagues in the House. Finally the Senate was given our chance to take swift action and today passed this agreement with overwhelmingly bipartisan support.
“The USMCA will have a tremendous impact on Iowa’s economy, given that we trade more goods with Mexico and Canada than we do with our next 27 trading partners combined. I’m excited about the market opportunities and predictability this trade agreement will bring to hardworking Americans across the country. The USMCA is truly a win for everyone, especially my fellow Iowans.”
Click here on the image above for a video recap of Ernst’s efforts to pass the USMCA.
Senator Joni Ernst has been a relentless advocate for over a year on behalf of Iowans when it comes to passing the USMCA.
- January 14, 2020: As USMCA advances in the Senate, Ernst reiterates Iowans’ strong support of the trade deal.
- January 14, 2020: Ernst helps move USMCA out of Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.
- December 10, 2019: Ernst applauds Trump Administration for reaching deal with the House on USMCA.
- December 4, 2019: On one year anniversary of the USMCA, Ernst amped up pressure on the House to move on the deal.
- October 28, 2019: Ernst outlines in a column in The Gazette that House Democrats need to move on the USMCA.
- October 23, 2019: Ernst says House Democrats need to do their job, pass USMCA.
- September 27, 2019: Ernst and fellow Iowans call on Congress to pass the USMCA.
- September 24, 2019: Ernst: 298 days later, House Democrats still stalling on the USMCA.
- September 12, 2019: Ernst brings Iowans’ voices to Washington to pass the USMCA.
- September 9, 2019: On her 99 County Tour, Iowans consistently told Ernst they want the USMCA now.
- July 30, 2019: Ernst says Iowans need the USMCA.
- July 16, 2019: Ernst says USMCA will be a “shot of positive energy” for Iowa’s farmers and manufacturers.
- June 5, 2019: Ernst urges action on USMCA.
- May 21, 2019: Ernst to House Democrats: let’s move on USMCA.
- May 1, 2019: Ernst joins Bloomberg TV an says “we want to move ahead with USMCA.”
- April 20, 2019: Ernst joins Varney & Co. to call on House to support USMCA.
- November 30, 2018: Ernst says Trump fulfills another promise with signing of USMCA.
- October 8, 2018: Ernst applauds USMCA trade agreement.
- October 2, 2018: Ernst joins CBS This Morning to discuss USMCA.
- October 1, 2018: Ernst says the USMCA trade deal is “welcome news for Iowa farmers and ranchers.”