WASHINGTON—Today, U.S. Senator Joni Ernst (R-IA), chairman of the Senate Agriculture Subcommittee on Rural Development and Energy, joined other Iowa elected officials Senator Chuck Grassley, Iowa Secretary of Agriculture Mike Naig, and Iowa Secretary of State Paul Pate, at the White House for President Trump’s signing of the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), a trade deal with Iowa’s top two trading partners, Mexico and Canada.
“The USMCA will have a tremendous impact on Iowa’s economy, given that we export more goods to Mexico and Canada than we do with our next 27 trading partners combined. I’m excited about the market opportunities and predictability this trade agreement will bring to hardworking Americans across the country. I was glad to celebrate this win for our state with fellow Iowans today at the White House as President Trump signed the historic trade agreement,” said Senator Joni Ernst.
For over a year, Senator Ernst heard from Iowans across the state on her 99 County Tour stops about the need for the trade deal and, for over a year, Senator Ernst relayed Iowans’ voices to her colleagues, pressuring House Democrats to move on it.
**Click here or on the images below to download high quality photos from today’s ceremony.
Senator Ernst with fellow Iowans at the White House.
For more than a year, Senator Joni Ernst has been a relentless advocate on behalf of Iowans for passage of the USMCA.
- January 22, 2020: Ernst Joins Grassley in Officially Sending USMCA to President Trump’s desk.
- January 16, 2020: Ernst votes to pass USMCA on the Senate Floor.
- January 14, 2020: As USMCA advances in the Senate, Ernst reiterates Iowans’ strong support of the trade deal.
- January 14, 2020: Ernst helps move USMCA out of Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.
- December 10, 2019: Ernst applauds Trump Administration for reaching deal with the House on USMCA.
- December 4, 2019: On one year anniversary of the USMCA, Ernst amped up pressure on the House to move on the deal.
- October 28, 2019: Ernst outlines in a column in The Gazette that House Democrats need to move on the USMCA.
- October 23, 2019: Ernst says House Democrats need to do their job, pass USMCA.
- September 27, 2019: Ernst and fellow Iowans call on Congress to pass the USMCA.
- September 24, 2019: Ernst: 298 days later, House Democrats still stalling on the USMCA.
- September 12, 2019: Ernst brings Iowans’ voices to Washington to pass the USMCA.
- September 9, 2019: On her 99 County Tour, Iowans consistently told Ernst they want the USMCA now.
- July 30, 2019: Ernst says Iowans need the USMCA.
- July 16, 2019: Ernst says USMCA will be a “shot of positive energy” for Iowa’s farmers and manufacturers.
- June 5, 2019: Ernst urges action on USMCA.
- May 21, 2019: Ernst to House Democrats: let’s move on USMCA.
- May 1, 2019: Ernst joins Bloomberg TV an says “we want to move ahead with USMCA.”
- April 20, 2019: Ernst joins Varney & Co. to call on House to support USMCA.
- November 30, 2018: Ernst says Trump fulfills another promise with signing of USMCA.
- October 8, 2018: Ernst applauds USMCA trade agreement.
- October 2, 2018: Ernst joins CBS This Morning to discuss USMCA.
- October 1, 2018: Ernst says the USMCA trade deal is “welcome news for Iowa farmers and ranchers.”